Serendipity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expect Surprises

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beyond Blue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sara
Spark
Spark
Sara

Beyond Blue Empty
PostSubject: Beyond Blue   Beyond Blue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:09 am

I thought i'd start this topic discussion with a very useful link to a well known organization in Australia that is bringing depression into mainstream awareness. Feel free to peruse and add your thoughts.

beyondblue
Back to top Go down
Solane Star
DragonFly Lady
DragonFly Lady
Solane Star

Beyond Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond Blue   Beyond Blue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:40 am

winged heart

Thanks Sara,

What a Great site you posted here, thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
Kiarra
Kiarra

Beyond Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond Blue   Beyond Blue Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:33 am

Wonderful Sarah! I have depression/anxiety and am on meds for it. People would never know if I didn't tell them. Many people, myself included at one time, do not realize that worrying all the time isn't normal, that doing less and less or having a loss of interest in things you normally love are symptoms. It wasn't until a dear friend had said to me why suffer when you don't have to, that I got a prescription. Not all people need prescriptions and counselling may help. In any case, thanks for sharing this.
Back to top Go down
RavenGirl
Hawk in the Sky
Hawk in the Sky
RavenGirl

Beyond Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond Blue   Beyond Blue Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 am

Depression is the fastest growing affliction of Western society. It's not hard to see why when you take a look at the current economic climate and social problems. Of course not all depression is caused by external events. I am one of the 'lucky' ones who has a chemical imbalance in my brain that requires medication - a biological cause for the misery.

I often hear people describe their battle with depression as 'coping' with it. This term to me, implies accepting it and being able to put it in a box for awhile so you can experience life without it. That isn't my experience. A more accurate description is 'living with depression'. It never goes away. Medication can mask the symptoms but not remove the cause. Even when I am happy, there is a dark undertone to the feelings. When I laugh, there is a seriousness that lays beneath it. It's kind of like wearing a mask to change what the world sees but behind it, your features are still the same - just disguised.

Inside the perpetual darkness I have found many gifts. Sometimes, I am able to gain a depth of perception not available to those without this affliction. I am a thinker - deeply analytical and with a finely tuned ability to see the smaller parts that make up the whole. I feel beyond the normal range of emotions. I write from a sense of survival and appreciation of life. The downs make the ups so much more precious. But there is no off switch. At night, in my sleep, I am still prone to depression. Strange dreams and nightmares, hallucinations from the medication, daylight hours robbed by drowsiness or boredom, inspiration not supported by motivation. All the positivity in the world cannot get me moving. At times breathing is all I can manage.

I post this not to gain sympathy or even to say this is a typical case of depression, but hopefully to share with others that there is no label that fits all. Symptoms vary. Feelings and thoughts change. Don't judge yourself by what another tells you is the norm. Successful living with depression comes from knowing yourself and working with the resources at your disposal. It's your journey - map the path to include all the things that are important or meaningful to you. artist
Back to top Go down
https://serendipity.catsboard.com
Sponsored content

Beyond Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beyond Blue   Beyond Blue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beyond Blue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Serendipity :: The Garden Of Earthly Delights :: Between The Cracks-
Jump to: