Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solane Star
DragonFly Lady
DragonFly Lady

PostSubject: Tiny Dream House   Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Tiny Dream House
Wednesday July 29, 2009

They say everything is bigger in Texas. But Brad Kittel, an entrepreneur there is acting on the need to downsize in a crashing economy with his Tiny Texas Houses. These tiny homesteads are reminiscent of the pioneer days, and in that way, this trend is in harmony with Pluto in Capricorn. It's a return to simpler, less wasteful ways of living by looking to traditions of the past.

Looking to the theme of recycling (Pluto) and building home structures (Capricorn), Kittel believes we can build the new using the salvage materials of the old, on the ground. His creations are made of 99% salvage materials. Says Kittel, "After a generation of having it all and wasting so much, perhaps it is time to consider keeping it small and preserving what we have before we waste more of our limited resources."

The idea of living lightly on the Earth, with a low overhead is a trend that's likely to grow. Some companies, like Tumbleweed Houses are getting lots of media attention. Their example inspired another designer, Julie Martin, to design tiny homes on wheels. Martin lost all her material possessions after hurricane Katrina, which led her to create the "Fresh Start," an 89-square-foot cabin on wheels, out of her Martin House-To-Go venture.

I've got some experience in this, since we live in a cedar-lined red schoolbus, that's as cozy as can be. It's not a hippy decor inside; a friend of mine called it "very Danish modern." The low overhead allows us to eat higher quality food (organics), and work on being mobile and self-sufficient. We've got two 80-watt solar panels that run nearly everything, in case we're ever off the grid.

With so many losing their safety nets and nest eggs, there's a lot of questioning of the system going on. This trend of casting off the bigger burdensome shell for a smaller model -- with all mod cons -- is a mirroring of the Pluto in Capricorn transformation. It's easy to see the originality factor of new thinking (planets in Aquarius) by updating old shanties for the 21st-century. The tiny texas houses in particular bring America full circle, being "designed in the classic style of past centuries when our living space was treasured and quality was important."

In line with harkening to the past, there's the California tiny home company, Little House on the Trailer, a name conjuring, Ma, Pa and half-pint on the frontier. The tiny home phenomenon is just one creative solution to an urgent crisis. It comes from being willing to step out of the status quo, live in a way others find wacky, and merge technology with old school traditions. Do you think you'd like it?

•A tour of Dee Williams' Tiny House on Wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZM2G-PfEbc

View user profile
Solane Star
DragonFly Lady
DragonFly Lady

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dream House   Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:07 pm

ALL I can say is " I LOVE " Her and Her Home.

WAY COOL !! !! lights on

feelgood applause

View user profile
Kiarra

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dream House   Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:26 am

For years I used to say to my husband, why don't they make smaller cheaper homes??? Great find Solane!!

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dream House   Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:34 am

Wow they are even making homes from shipping containers!

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Dream House   

Back to top Go down

Tiny Dream House
Page 1 of 1