Serendipity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expect Surprises

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beware of duty

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solane Star
DragonFly Lady
DragonFly Lady
Solane Star

Beware of duty Empty
PostSubject: Beware of duty   Beware of duty Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 7:57 am

Beware of duty

“Should is an ordinary, everyday word -- except when it is used to indicate an order that may not be refused. Then should becomes a finger waving under the nose. …Should users build prison cells for themselves. They are so focused on what they should do -- that they cannot think about what they can do, what they might do in the future.”

-- Dr. Arthur Freeman and Rose Dewolf

Many of us have been taught to do our duty. What does this imply to you? For me, ‘doing my duty’ means doing something I really don’t want to do. My heart’s not in it, and so the energy for the act isn’t there. I have to force every move. Usually, there’s underlying resentment. When this is the scenario, tasks may get done but there’s no gift to the world.

We do not truly serve the world if we give to others but neglect our own truth and our own needs. It’s only when our own needs are fully met that we can generously and whole-heartedly give of ourselves. It’s not selfish to look after ourselves -- it’s essential!

“To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart.”

-- Pearl S. Buck

redhart
Back to top Go down

Beware of duty
Page 1 of 1